Access Keys:

 

Business Studies

9
9
 
8
8
 
7
7
 
6
6
 
5
5
 
4
4
 
3
3
 
2
2
 
1
1
 
 
 

Rathfriland High School Website

Business Studies

 

Staff

Mrs L Budde

 

Courses offered:

The Business Studies Department offers two main subjects:

 

     GCSE Business Studies (CCEA)

     GCSE Business & Communication Systems (CCEA)

 

We follow the CCEA specification for both subjects.  They are assessed by external examinations and controlled assessment.  These courses lead to Further and Higher Education or employment.

 

Business Studies  

Business Studies is a subject which pupils can choose to study at the end of Key Stage 3.  It provides pupils with an insight into the world of work.  No matter what they decide to do when they leave school, the chances are they will be involved in some way in a business, whether as an owner, an employee or a customer.  Through study, pupils can discover more about how and why businesses operate in the way that they do and learn about their key functions. 

GCSE Business Studies gives pupils the opportunity to gain business knowledge, understanding and skills.  They begin to understand current events in local, national and global contexts.  They learn how to use relevant terms, concepts and methods effectively to describe business and economic behaviour. Pupils also consider business ethics and the impact of business on the environment. 

Business Studies gives pupils’ access to a wide range of further education and training opportunities and career choices.  It offers an excellent foundation for those wishing to pursue careers in management, marketing, human resources, accounting, banking and finance, business journalism, leisure and tourism, retail, entrepreneurship, government services and professions such as teaching and law to name but a few.  

 

 

GCSE Business Studies Course Content:  

The specification has two units:

     Business Start Up

 

       Business Start Up

       Production

       Marketing

 

     Business Development

 

       Finance

       Managing People

       Business Growth

       Business Plan

 

 

Assessment Structure:

Assessment is based on two external written examination papers which account for 75% of the final marks.  The remaining 25% is based on a controlled assessment.  GCSE Business Studies is modular and so pupils will sit an exam at the end of year 11.

Content

 

Assessment

Weighting

Availability

 

Unit 1:

 

Business Start Up

 

External written exam

1 hour 20mins

 

Format:

Structured questions

 

 

Worth 35%

 

 

Every Summer

 

(Exam taken in year 11 – can be retaken in Year 12)

 

Assesses unit 1

 

 

Unit 2:

Business Development

 

 

External written exam

1 hour 40mins

 

Format:

Three structured questions with an incline of difficulty

 

 

Worth 40%

 

 

Summer

Terminal Assessment

 

(Year 12 only)

 

Assesses any part of the course

 

Controlled Assessment

 

Format:

Candidates complete one task from a range of tasks released in September each Year.   

Synoptic*

 

 

Worth 25%

 

 

Summer

Terminal Assessment

 

 

The full range of GCSE grades (A* - G) are available in this subject.

 

 

 

GCSE Results

 

Year

Grade

%

2011

A* -  C

50%

2011

A* - D

100%

2010

A* -  C

75%

2010

A* - D

100%

 

 

GCSE Exams

     The GCSE Business Studies Unit 1 Exam is on:

 

 

 

     The GCSE Business Studies Unit 2 Exam is on:

 

 

Revision classes 

Revision classes will be starting soon for GCSE Business Studies.  Come along and get extra support with exam techniques and topics you feel you need additional help with. 

 

Date

Topic Covered

To be confirmed

To be confirmed

 


Useful Website Links 

www.bbc.co.uk/business

www.businessstudiesonline.co.uk        

www.bized.co.uk
www.ccea.org.uk

www.tutor2u.net